1. Journal aim
2. Scope of articles
Journal of Islamic and Iranian Traditional Medicine is published by the Academy of Medical Sciences of the Islamic Republic of Iran under the supervision of the Hikmat (Wisdom), Islamic and Traditional Medicine Department. The purpose of this journal is to publish the findings and research results of the review and evidence-based studies of faculty members, researchers and students in various fields of Islamic and Iranian traditional medicine and pharmacy as well as Iranian medical history.
The journal invites all of the researchers, professors, and students to submit their original research papers, review articles, and letter to editors in the fields related to the science of traditional medicine and pharmacy. Scope of papers include: healthy lifestyle, development of various medical sciences, biography and introduction of scientific works of sages and past scholars, Hikmat or philosophy, ethnopharmacology, explanatory studies, qualitative studies, preparation and standardization of traditional and natural medicines, and evidence-based medicine (such as basic science, in vitro, in vivo, and various clinical studies).
3. Paper submission
Corresponding author should first register on journal website (www.jiitm.ir) and submit the paper in the format of Word 2003 and PDF files through a 3-step submission process. Once a paper submitted, a reference code will be dedicated to it for future correspondences of the author with the journal.
4. Ethical considerations
Necessarily, the submitted paper to this journal should not be previously published elsewhere nor to be submitted to another journal at the same time. The author must notify this issue writing to the journal's office by e-mail: traditionaljournalams.ac.ir.
5. Journal language
All types of paper are accepted in Persian medicine. However, English abstract is needed in addition to Persian abstract.
6. Article types
Various types of articles are accepted for publication in the Journal of Islamic and Iranian Traditional Medicine as described below:
||Word count limitation (including abstract, text and references)
||Tables and figures limitation
||4 tables or figures
||4 tables or figures
||2 tables or figures
||3 tables or figures
|Letter to editor
||1 tables or figures
7. Article format
A complete research article should include the title, authors' names, abstract, keywords, introduction, research methods, results, discussion, conclusion, references, and if necessary, tables, figures, and illustrations.
The title of the article should be concise and useful. The translation of the article title should also be written in English.
7-2. Authors' names
Name, academic degree, and employment place of the authors of the paper should be completely mentioned in order i.e., group, college, university, city, and country, not including the word doctor or other degrees before the authors’ names. The authors' addresses, if different, should be sequenced in consecutive numbers (see published articles).
Also, write the name, degree, and employment place of the authors of the paper in English and provide the author's scientific title (MD, M.Sc, Ph.D) after their names. Corresponding author must be marked with an asterisk (*). Moreover, the full address, email, phone number, and fax number of the authors should be included.
All articles should have a structured abstract (Background and Purpose, Methods and Materials, Results, Conclusion) of up to 300 words in Farsi and English. The components of this abstract are:
- Background and Purpose: Includes the main question and purpose of writing or presenting a hypothesis
- Methods and Materials: Includes method of studying, design of study, and complete mentioning of the specimens
- Results: Summary of information and data
- Conclusion: A summary of the interpretation and description of the findingsPersian and English abstracts should be equivalent in concept and content.
At the end of the abstract, list between 3 to 7 keywords.
The introduction should state the content of the article and provide a rationale for the study. In the introduction, explain the proposed question in the article and explain why this question is significant and important. The introduction should preferably be narrower than the discussion section.
7-6. Materials and Methods
In this section of the article, the followings should be observed:
- How to doing the study is clearly stated.
- How to collect the information is fully described.
- The used equipment is thoroughly described.
- Statistical methods are described.
- All used drugs and chemicals must be precisely described (drug name and ingredients, manufacturer name, dosage, and method of use).
- Findings that contain information to evaluate the research should be shown in tables and figures as appropriate and summarized in the text.
- The text of this section should be concise and clear and provide, as far as possible, a summary of the tables and figures for the reader.
- If the result of the article has few results or only a simple result, it is better to include the findings in the text rather than the table and figure.
7-8. Discussion and Conclusion
The results of the study should be compared with other researches in Iran and around the world and the reasons for accepting or rejecting them should be discussed with reference to the sources. The final conclusion of the study should be summarized in a brief and clear paragraph along with possible suggestions.
The followings can be thanked and appreciated:
- People who have any kind of scientific contribution in the article.
- If the article is the result of an approved research project and funded by a particular organization or center, the name of the funding center and the number of the project should be stated.
Subjects that need to be annotated and cannot be incorporated into the text should be written in sequence, with explanations for that annotation in this section of the article.
7-11. Tables and Figures
All tables and figures should be putted in appropriate places in the text with a short descriptive title at the top of each table and underneath of each figure followed by a proper description given below.
All of the references should be cited in English, Vancouver style, and at the end of the article.
Non-English references are to be written in italic form, and if the source has an English title, it also should be written in brackets.
The Vancouver citation style is based on the citation sequence. Therefore, references in the text must be in consecutive numbers and in parentheses. Each source is assigned a number in the first place cited in the text. The same number is used in repeated citations to that source, regardless of the next citation location. When multiple sources are cited in sequence in a specific section of text, the dash is used to connect between the first and the last source. Examples of citations are as follows:
- Avicenna. Al-Qanun fi al-Tibb (The Canon of Medicine). Lebanon: Alamy Le al-Matbooat Institute; 2005. [In Arabic].
- Najmabadi M. Tarikh Tibb dar Iran. Tehran: Tehran University; 1992. [In Persian].
- Zarshenas MM, Zargaran A. A review on the Avicenna's contribution to the field of cardiology. International Journal of Cardiology. 2015 Mar 1;182:237-41.
- Azadi O. Preparation and in vitro characterization of hydrogel nanoparticles for intravenous long-circulating delivery of sodium valproate [Dissertation] Shiraz: Shiraz University of Medical Science; 2007.
Citation of an article in an online journal:
- Available from: http://www//pazhouheshyar.com/m12.htm.Accessed March12, 1999.
Web site citation:
- Available at: URL: http://www.healthinfo.com/doc1999.htm.Accessed June 12, 2001.
8. General writing tips
As a part of the submission process, authors will need to comply with all of the followings for the acceptance. If the submission is not in accordance with these guidelines, it will be sent back to the author for correction.
- The article should be submitted in Microsoft Word 2003 and PDF format.
- All sections of the file should have a margin of 2.5cm, with B Nazanin font for Persian script, 2Badr font for Arabic script, and Times New Roman font for English script, font size 12, and in the format of A4. Paper should be numbered on all pages.
- The titles of sections and subheadings should be specified with bold text which can be numbered.
- Separate any title or sub-heading from the previous header or sub-headings with an Enter.
- Before the parentheses, place a space between the word before and after the parentheses but the braces should be attached to the words or numbers inside them.
- Dots and commas are to be attached to the words ahead of them and separated form the next words through a space.
- Full scientific names of plants including the genus and species name should be written in italic and the name of their author(s) in non-italic form.
- Insert Latin equivalents of the words inside the text and refrain from bringing them in footnote.